1. The Union Cabinet has approved what percentage of reservation quota for the economically weaker sections in the general category?
a) 10 per cent
b) 15 per cent
c) 7 per cent
d) 8.5 per cent
2. Which country took over the operations of Chabahar Port in Iran in December 2018?
3. The Lok Sabha has passed the Personal Laws (Amendment Bill), 2018 to remove which disease as a ground for divorce?
4. Jim Yong Kim is going to step down on February 1 as the President of which international organisation?
a) World Health Organisation
b) Asian Development Bank
c) International Monetary Organisation
d) World Bank
5. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) imposed a ban on single-use plastic items at how many of its airports?
6. Which city will host the Global Healthcare Summit 2019?
7. Who was appointed as the Chief Economist of the International Monetary Fund?
a) Gita Gopinath
b) Maurice Obstfeld
c) Christine Lagarde
d) Mahesh Rathore
8. Which city will host the Global Aviation Summit 2019?
a) New Delhi
9. The HRD Minister has approved how many additional seats for the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas?
10. Which among the following countries has decided to withdraw from UN-backed anti-corruption commission?
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) 10 per cent
The Union Cabinet has approved a proposal for introduction of a bill that seeks to extend 10 per cent quota to the economically weaker sections in the general category who are not covered by any of the existing schemes of reservation.
2. (c) India
India took over the operations of a part of Chabahar Port in Iran during the Chabahar Trilateral Agreement meeting held on December 24, 2018 in Iran. The heads of Indian, Iranian and Afghanistan delegation jointly inaugurated the office of the Indian SPV – India Ports Global Chabahar Free Zone (IPGCFZ) at Chabahar.
3. (c) Leprosy
The Lok Sabha on January 7, 2019 passed the Personal Laws (Amendment Bill), 2018, which seeks to remove leprosy as a ground for divorce. Leprosy is being removed as a ground for divorce as it is now a curable disease as against the earlier notion of it being incurable.
4. (d) World Bank
In a surprise move, World Bank President Jim Yong Kim announced that he will step down from his position on February 1, 2019, much before the end of his term in 2022. Kim, 58, has been in this position for over six years now.
5. (b) 129
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) imposed a ban on single-use plastic items at its 129 airports across the country. The Authority undertook various steps to eliminate single-use plastic items at passenger terminals and city side. These steps include banning of single-use plastic items like straws, plastic cutlery, plastic plates etc.
6. (a) Hyderabad
The Global Healthcare Summit 2019 will be held in Hyderabad, Telangana in July 2019. The summit will be organised in partnership with the Global Association of Physicians of Indian Origin.
7. (a) Gita Gopinath
India born Gita Gopinath joined the International Monetary Fund as its Chief Economist. She is the first woman to occupy the top IMF post.
8. (b) Mumbai
The Global Aviation Summit with the theme “Flying for all” will be organised by the Ministry of Civil Aviation in collaboration with FICCI from January 15-16, 2019 in Mumbai. The summit aims to provide a platform to the aviation fraternity to showcase the challenges of the sector in the newly developing growth spots.
9. (c) 5000
The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar has approved an increase of 5000 seats in Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV) for the Academic Year 2019-20. The number of seats in JNVs, at present, total to around 46600.The addition of 5000 seats will mean availability of 51000 seats from AY 2019-20.
10. (b) Guatemala
Guatemala has said that it is withdrawing from a UN-backed anti-corruption commission. It has given the UN body’s staff 24 hours to leave the country. Guatemala’s President Jimmy Morales accused the International Commission against Impunity in Guatemala (CICIG) of polarising the country and putting its security at risk
1. Which judge has replaced Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi in the panel headed by PM Modi that will decide on the fate of recently reinstated CBI Director Alok Verma?
a) Justice AK Sikri
b) Justice RF Nariman
c) Justice AM Khanwilkar
d) Justice DY Chandrachud
2. The constitution bench that will hear the Ayodhya land dispute case shall comprise how many judges?
3. India has signed an Ocean Dialogue with which nation?
d) Sri Lanka
4. The Lok Sabha has passed which bill that seeks to make illegal migrants from 6 religions eligible for citizenship?
a) Citizenship Amendment bill
b) Citizen Charter Bill
c) Refugee and Migrant Bill
d) National Register of Citizens Bill
5. India released a joint statement with which nation on January 8, 2019?
6. Which country’s cricketing body was announced as the 105th member of ICC?
7. Which country has topped the global index for world’s most powerful passport for the second time in a row?
8. What was India’s rank in the global index for the world’s most powerful passport in 2019?
9. Which nation was chosen to host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, replacing the original hosts Cameroon?
d) South Africa
10. Which cricketer maintained his number 1 ranking in the latest ICC batsmen rankings?
a) Rohit Sharma
b) Shikhar Dhawan
c) MS Dhoni
d) Virat Kohli
Answers with Explanation
1. (a) Justice AK Sikri
Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi has dropped out of the high-powered selection panel that is to decide Alok Verma’s case as he was a member of the Supreme Court bench that reinstated Verma as CBI director on January 8, 2019.
2. (a) Five
A five-Judge Constitution bench of the Supreme Court headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi has been constituted to hear the title suit in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid Ayodhya case, which will begin hearing on January 10, 2019.
3. (b) Norway
India and Norway released a Joint Statement on January 8, 2019 after extensive talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Norwegian PM Erna Solberg, during the latter’s official state visit to India from January 7-9, 2019. The two countries also agreed to closely collaborate on ocean economy and signed a MoU for holding an India-Norway Ocean Dialogue.
4. (a) Citizenship Amendment bill
The Lok Sabha has passed the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill. The Bill seeks to amend the Citizenship Act, 1955 to make illegal migrants who are Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan, eligible for citizenship.
5. (a) Norway
India and Norway released a Joint Statement after extensive talks between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Norwegian PM Erna Solberg, during the latter’s official state visit to India from January 7-9, 2019.
6. (c) US
The United States of America Cricket was announced as the 105th member of the International Cricket Council on January 8, 2018. USA Cricket came into existence after USACA was expelled in June 2017 for lack of cooperation in terms of unifying the cricket community in the country.
7. (c) Japan
Japan, for the second time in a row, has topped a global index for the world’s most powerful passport in 2019. According to the Henley Passport Index, which periodically measures the access each country’s travel document affords, Japan retained its top spot as the world’s most travel-friendly passport due to the document’s access to 190 countries.
8. (d) 79
India secured the 79th rank in the global index for the world’s most powerful passport in 2019. India jumped two positions from 81st in 2018 to 79th this year. Afghanistan, Pakistan and Nepal ranked further low at 104, 102 and 94 respectively.
9. (c) Egypt
Egypt will host the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations between June 15 and July 13, 2019. The Confederation of African Football (CAF) President Ahmad Ahmad made the announcement in Senegalese capital Dakar on January 8, 2019. The CAF executive committee preferred Egypt to South Africa as replacement for original hosts Cameroon, who were dropped due to delays in preparations and concerns over security.
10. (d) Virat Kohli
Indian skipper Virat Kohli has maintained his number one position in the latest ICC batsmen rankings. Cheteshwar Pujara has gained a spot to be third, following his man of the series performance in India’s maiden Cricket Test series win in Australia.
1. Which Ministry launched an online campaign ‘Web – Wonder Women’ recently?
a) Union Ministry of Women and Child Development
b) Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
c) Union Ministry of Home Affairs
d) Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
2. Which Indian boxer fetched number one position in the International Boxing Association’s (AIBA) latest world rankings?
a) Vijendra Singh
b) Mary Kom
c) Vinesh Phogat
d) Dinesh Kumar
3. Which body constituted Nandan Nilekani led Committee to boost digital payments?
d) NITI Aayog
4. The second edition of Khelo India Youth Games was inaugurated in which city recently?
b) New Delhi
5. Who was appointed as the President of Global Solar Council (GSC) recently?
a) Pranav Mehta
b) Sunil Lohia
c) Rahul Singh
d) Varun Sobti
6. ICC has offered amnesty to which nation’s cricketers to report match-fixing approaches?
b) Sri Lanka
7. Which space agency plans to set up space galleries to disseminate the knowledge about space science and technology amongst the citizens of the country?
8. Which nation is set to become the third-largest consumer market behind US and China by 2030, as per the World Economic Forum?
9. Who was removed as the coach of Indian national men’s hockey team?
a) Harendra Singh
b) Narendra Bohra
c) Sardar Singh
d) Dhanraj Pillay
10. Which OPEC nation has decided to cut its oil exports in January by 10 per cent?
d) Saudi Arabia
1. (a) Union Ministry of Women and Child Development
The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development on January 9, 2018 launched an online campaign, ‘Web – Wonder Women’ also known as ‘#www’. The Campaign aims to discover and celebrate the exceptional achievements of women, who have been driving positive agenda of social change via social media.
2. (b) Mary Kom
MC Mary Kom’s unprecedented sixth world title triumph propelled her to the number one position in the International Boxing Association’s (AIBA) latest world rankings. She became the most successful boxer in world championships’ history when she claimed the 48kg category top honours in November 2018.
3. (c) RBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on January 8, 2018 constituted a High-Level Committee on Deepening of Digital Payments to encourage digitisation of payments and enhance financial inclusion. The five-member committee will be headed by UIDAI’s former Chairman Nandan Nilekani.
4. (d) Pune
The second edition of Khelo India Youth Games was inaugurated in Pune on January 9, 2019. Tennis and table tennis will also be a part of the games this time. Students from colleges and Universities will be allowed to compete in the games.
5. (a) Pranav R Mehta
Pranav R Mehta took over as the President of Global Solar Council (GSC) on January 1, 2019. The GSC has its headquarters in Washington D.C. GSC was launched on December 6, 2015, following the United Nations Climate Change Conference (UN COP 21).
6. (b) Sri Lanka
The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced on January 10, 2019 that it would be giving a 15-day amnesty to participants who have previously failed to report any information concerning corrupt conduct in Sri Lankan cricket. The amnesty, which will run from 16-31 January, will apply to all participants under both the ICC and Sri Lankan Cricket Anti-Corruption codes.
7. (d) ISRO
Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has planned to set up Space Galleries in various locations in the country. The Space Galleries are expected to disseminate the knowledge about space science and technology amongst the citizens of the country.
8. (c) India
India is set to become the third-largest consumer market behind only the US and China and consumer spending in India is expected to grow from USD 1.5 trillion at present to nearly USD 6 trillion by 2030, as per a World Economic Forum report. The WEF report titled ‘Future of Consumption in Fast-Growth Consumer Market – India’ noted that growth of the middle class will lift nearly 25 million households out of poverty.
9. (a) Harendra Singh
Indian men’s hockey coach Harendra Singh was on January 10, 2019 sacked from the position and offered the task of helming the junior squad by the national federation. The year 2018 was very disappointing for the Indian Men’s Hockey Team with results not going as expected, they believe investing in the junior program which will reap long-term benefits.
10. (d) Saudi Arabia
OPEC kingpin Saudi Arabia announced on January 10, 2019 that it has decided to slash its oil exports in January by 10 per cent in comparison to November. Saudi energy minister Khalid al-Falih said the kingdom, the world’s top crude supplier, would cut its exports to 7.2 million barrels per day (bpd) in January, down from 8.0 million bpd in November. He also announced a further 100,000 bpd cut in February.
1. India’s first rail and transportation university has started functioning in which city?
2. The Union Cabinet has approved bilateral swap arrangement between India and which nation?
3. The Union Cabinet approved the signing of Terms of Reference (TOR) to provide tax assistance to which nation?
4. The Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and which nation on the development of Advanced Model Single Window?
5. Two new AIIMS will soon be coming up in which among the following states?
b) Jammu and Kashmir
6. The Supreme Court has fixed the hearing of Ram Mandir-Babri Masjid land dispute case for which day?
a) January 29
b) February 1
c) March 29
d) February 28
7. Su Tseng-chang has been appointed as the Prime Minister of which state?
c) South Korea
8. ISRO is planning to send it first manned mission to space by when?
a) December 2020
b) March 2021
c) March 2019
d) December 2021
9. Which among the following is not one of the six states that signed an agreement for Renukaji Multipurpose Dam Project?
b) Uttar Pradesh
10. FSSAI has asked the food businesses to comply with new packaging norms by which date?
a) March 31st
b) June 30th
c) July 1st
d) August 1st
1. (b) Vadodara
The National Rail & Transport Institute (NRTI), set up in Vadodara, Gujarat, has opened its doors to the first batch of 103 students from 20 states of India, in two fully-residential undergraduate courses – BSc. in Transportation Technology and DBA in Transportation Management, the classes for which started from September 5, 2018.
2. (a) Japan
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for entering into an Agreement for Bilateral Swap Arrangement (BSA) between India and Japan and authorising the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to sign the BSA with the Bank of Japan for a maximum amount of USD 75 billion.
3. (c) Eswatini
The Union Cabinet has approved the Signing of Terms of Reference (TOR) governing the engagement of the designated Indian Expert to provide tax assistance to Swaziland (now known as Eswatini) under the Tax Inspectors without Borders (TIWB) programme between India and Eswatini.
4. (b) Japan
The Union Cabinet has approved the Memorandum of Understanding between India and Japan on Development of Advanced Model Single Window. The ‘Advanced Model Single Window’ is based on the best practices in and outside India, with measurable parameters and it identifies possible obstacles for the establishment of the Single Window in India. It will thus, facilitate investments.
5. (b) Jammu and Kashmir
The Union Cabinet on January 10, 2019 approved the establishment of three more All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) to boost healthcare infrastructure in the country. Among them, while two will be set up in Jammu and Kashmir’s Samba and Pulwama districts, the third AIIMS will be set up in Rajkot, Gujarat.
6. (a) January 29
The Supreme Court of India on January 10, 2019 fixed the hearing in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land title dispute case for January 29, 2019. The Constitution Bench hearing the case is to be reconstituted after Justice UU Lalit recused himself from the case, following question on his inclusion in the five judge bench.
7. (a) Taiwan
Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen appointed Su Tseng-chang as Prime Minister on January 10, 2019, during a Cabinet reshuffle following the ruling Democratic Progressive Party’s heavy losses in local elections. Su is a former premier appointed in 2006 by then-President Chen Shui-bian and was a chairman of Tsai’s Democratic Progressive Party for two terms.
8. (d) December 2021
ISRO announced on January 11, 2018 that it is well prepared to meet the targets of launching Gaganyaan manned mission to outer space by December 2021. Addressing a press conference, ISRO Chairman Dr K Sivan has said a human space centre is set up for this mission.
9. (d) Gujarat
An agreement for Renukaji Dam Multipurpose Project was signed on January 11, 2019 among the states of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand. The project is aimed at meeting the drinking water needs of these states.
10. (c) July 1st
FSSAI has said food businesses need to comply with new packaging regulations that bar use of recycled plastics and newspapers to wrap food articles by July 1. The new packaging regulations would raise the bar of food safety in India to the next level.
1. Where was the India-Central Asia Dialogue held in January 2019?
2. The Reserve Bank of India recently approved whose appointment as Non-Executive Part Time Chairman of the board of Yes Bank?
a) Ashok Chawla
b) Brahm Dutt
c) Sushil Modi
d) Mohsin Khan
3. Which Indian leader was recently awarded with the first ever Philip Kotler Presidential Award?
a) Ram Nath Kovind
b) Venkaiah Naidu
c) Narendra Modi
d) Arun Jaitley
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently released a commemorative silver coin of Rs 350 and stamp on Tenth Sikh Guru. Who is the Tenth Sikh Guru?
a) Guru Nanak Dev
b) Guru Angad dev
c) Guru Ram Das
d) Guru Gobind Singh
5. When is the World Hindi Day observed every year?
a) January 10
b) January 11
c) January 12
d) January 13
6. Who has become the 1st Hindu elected to US Congress to run for President in 2020?
a) Tulsi Gabbard
b) Kamala Harris
c) Nikki Haley
d) Ro Khanna
7. Which state has become the first one to implement 10 per cent quota for EWS in general category?
a) Madhya Pradesh
c) Uttar Pradesh
8. The main camera of which of NASA’s space telescopes got shutdown recently due to hardware problem?
a) James Webb Space Telescope
b) Spitzer Space Telescope
c) Kepler Mission
d) Hubble Space Telescope
9. Who launched the National Clean Air Programme on January 10, 2019?
a) Narendra Modi
b) Rajnath Singh
c) Harsh Vardhan
d) Ram Nath Kovind
10. Who among the following were awarded honorary membership of Sydney Cricket Ground?
a) Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma
b) Ravi Shastri, Virat Kohli
c) Rahul Dravid, MS Dhoni
d) MS Dhoni, Ravichandran Ashwin
1. (a) Uzbekistan
India and the five Central Asia nations on January 13, 2019 showed their support for the inclusive peace process in Afghanistan following the first ever India-Central Asia Dialogue in Samarkand, Uzbekistan. These five Central Asia nations are Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.
2. (b) Brahm Dutt
The Reserve Bank of India approved the appointment of Brahm Dutt as part-time, non-executive chairman of Yes Bank. Dutt has been on the Board of the bank since July 2013. He has been appointed till July 4, 2020.
3. (c) Narendra Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi received the first-ever Philip Kotler Presidential award. The award focuses on the triple bottom-line of ‘people, profit and planet’. It will be offered annually to the leader of a nation.
4. (d) Guru Gobind Singh
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 13, 2019 released a commemorative silver coin of Rs 350 and stamp on Tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji to mark his 352nd birth anniversary. The birth anniversary of the Guru Gobind Singh was also celebrated as Prakashotsava at Patna Sahib, Bihar.
5. (a) January 10
World Hindi Day is celebrated every year on January 10, marking the anniversary of first World Hindi Conference which was held in 1975. The first World Hindi Conference was inaugurated by the then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
6. (a) Tulsi Gabbard
Tulsi Gabbard, the first Hindu elected to US Congress and a four-time Democratic lawmaker, has said she will run for President in 2020, becoming the latest member of her party to challenge Republican President Donald Trump.The Iraq War veteran is the second woman after Senator Elizabeth Warren to enter the presidential race from the Democratic Party.
7. (b) Gujarat
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has announced that his government will implement the 10 per cent reservation for economically weaker sections of the general category with immediate effect. The decision comes just a day after President Ram Nath Kovind gave his assent to the Constitutional amendment.
8.(d) Hubble Space Telescope
The main camera onboard NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope has been shut down after it encountered a hardware problem. The camera was installed by spacewalking astronauts during Servicing Mission 4 in 2009. Hubble is the first major optical telescope to be placed in space, providing an unobstructed view into the universe.
9. (c) Harsh Vardhan
The Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr Harsh Vardhan on January 10, 2019 launched the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP), a time-bound national level strategy for pan India implementation to tackle the increasing air pollution problem across the country in a comprehensive manner. The programme aims to cut pollution in the 102 worst affected cities by 20-30 percent by 2024.
10. (b) Ravi Shastri, Virat Kohli
Indian national cricket team’s captain Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri on January 11, 2019 received the honorary membership of the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) for their contribution to the sport of cricket.The Indian team defeated Australia 2-1 in the four-match Test series, ending the country’s 71-year-old wait for a rare series win Down Under.
1. When is the Army Day celebrated in India every year?
a) January 15
b) January 16
c) January 17
d) January 18
2. Which state decided to ban the production, sale and use of single-use plastic products in the Union Territory from March 1, 2019?
3. The Constitution (103rd Amendment) Act, 2019 came into effect on January 14, 2019. It provides what percentage of reservation quota for the economically weaker sections in the general category?
a) 7 percent
b) 8.5 percent
c) 10 percent
d) 15 percent
4. The world’s largest religious and cultural human congregation, ‘Kumbh 2019’ began in which city?
5. Global Aviation Summit 2019 began in which city?
b) New Delhi
6. Which of state launched ‘One Family One Job’ scheme recently?
a) West Bengal
7. Prime Minister Modi launched several development projects worth over 1,500 crore rupees in which state on January 14, 2019?
b) Uttar Pradesh
8. Which state inducted a road safety robot ‘ROADEO’ into service recently?
c) Andhra Pradesh
d) Tamil Nadu
1. (a) January 15
71st Army Day was celebrated across India on January 15, 2019. The Day is celebrated every year to commemorate the day when General (later Field Marshal) KM Carriappa took over the command of Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief in 1949 and became the first Commander-in-Chief of Indian Army.
2. (b) Puducherry
Puducherry government has decided to ban the production, sale and use of single-use plastic products in the Union Territory from March 1, 2019. The announcement was made by Chief Minister V Narayanasamy on January 13, 2019 after a cabinet meeting.
3. (c) 10 percent
The Constitution (103rd Amendment) Act, 2019, the Act providing 10 percent reservation in government jobs and educational institutions to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) of General Category, came into effect on January 14, 2019.
4. (d) Prayagraj
The world’s largest religious and cultural human congregation, ‘Kumbh 2019’ began at Prayagraj (erstwhile Allahabad), Uttar Pradesh on January 15, 2019 and will go on till March 4, 2019.
5. (a) Mumbai
The Union Minister of Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu on January 15, 2019 inaugurated the Global Aviation Summit 2019 in Mumbai, Maharashtra. The Summit is a union and it will address the problems faced in the aviation sector.
6. (b) Sikkim
Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling launched the ‘One Family One Job’ scheme which entitles one government job for every family in the state. Sikkim has become the first state in the country to carry out such scheme for the people who would now be entitled to state government employee benefits.
7. (c) Odisha
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched and laid foundation stone of several development projects worth over 1,500 crore rupees at Balangir in Odisha. Modi dedicated to the nation electrification of Jharsuguda-Vizianagaram and Sambalpur-Angul lines spanning 813 kilometres completed at a cost of around 1,000 crores.
8. (d) Tamil Nadu
The Chennai Traffic Police inducted a road safety robot into service on January 14, 2019. The name of the robot is ‘ROADEO’. The robot will help police in traffic management and assist pedestrians in Chennai roads.