1. Name the Second Scorpene Class Submarine which is set to be inducted into the Indian Navy by May 2019?
a) INS Khanderi
b) INS Kalvari
c) INS Karanj
d) INS Vela
2. Which country will host the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2020?
c) South Korea
3. Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar passed away on March 17, 2019 after battling with pancreatic cancer. He was an alumnus of which IIT branch?
a) IIT Roorkee
b) IIT Lucknow
c) IIT Bombay
d) IIT Delhi
4. Joint Field Training Exercise AFINDEX-19 began on March 18, 2019 between India and which group of nations?
5. Which city will host the International Workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure 2019?
a) New Delhi
6. India signed an agreement on exemption from visa requirement for holders of diplomatic and official passports with which nation?
7. Cyclone IDAI has affected over 1.5 million people in which among the following continents?
d) South America
8. Which nation piloted two resolutions on single-use plastics and sustainable nitrogen management at the fourth session of United Nations Environment Assembly?
9. Which regulatory body has directed the Central Pollution Control Board to prepare noise pollution maps?
a) Supreme Court
b) Delhi HC
c) National Green Tribunal
d) Uttarakhand HC
10. Indian athlete Irfan KT has qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics in which category?
a) Race walking
c) High Jump
1. (a) INS Khanderi
INS Khanderi, the second of the 6 Scorpene Class Submarines, will soon be inducted into the Indian Navy by May 2019. INS Khanderi was launched at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) in Mumbai on January 12, 2017 and since then it has been undergoing trials and tests.
2. (b) India
Gianni Infantino, the President of International Football Federation (FIFA), on March 15, 2019 announced that India will host the U-17 Women’s World Cup in 2020. The 2020 World Cup will be the seventh edition of the U-17 Women’s tournament.
3. (c) IIT Bombay
Manohar Parrikar was the first Indian Institute of Technology alumnus (IIT Bombay) to serve as the Chief Minister of Goa in 2000. He became Goa Chief Minister for four times, but could not complete a single full term in office.
4. (b) Africa
Africa-India Joint Field Training Exercise AFINDEX-19 will be conducted in Pune from March 18 to 27, 2019 between the Indian Army and 16 African nations. The purpose of the exercise is to train the participating contingents in Humanitarian Mine Assistance (HMA) and Peace Keeping Operations (PKO) under the United Nations Charter.
5. (a) New Delhi
The International Workshop on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (IWDRI) will be inaugurated in Delhi. The two-day workshop will be organised by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in collaboration with United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), and in partnership with the Global Commission on Adaptation, United Nations Development Programme and the World Bank.
6. (a) Maldives
India and Maldives signed three agreements on March 17, 2019 after extensive talks between Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Foreign Affairs Minister of Maldives, Abdulla Shahid during the former’s visit to the tropical island nation from March 17-18, 2019. The agreements included a pact on exemption from visa requirement for holders of diplomatic and official passports.
7. (c) Africa
In Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi have been hit by a vicious cyclone, Cyclone IDAI, which has killed nearly 150 people, left hundreds more missing and stranded more than thousands. According to the UN, the cyclone has affected more than 1.5 million people in the three southern African countries.
8. (b) India
India piloted resolutions on two key global environmental issues, single-use plastics and sustainable nitrogen management, at the fourth session of United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) that was held in Nairobi from March 11-15, 2019. The UN Environment adopted both the resolutions with consensus.
9. (c) National Green Tribunal
The National Green Tribunal has directed the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) to prepare a noise pollution map and remedial action plan to solve the issue across the country. The green bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel directed the CPCB to identify noise pollution hotspots and categorise cities with specified hotspots and propose a remedial action plan within three months.
10. (a) Race walking
Indian athlete Irfan KT on March 17, 2019 qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. He made the cut after finishing fourth at the Asian Race Walking Championship at Nomi in Japan. Irfan clocked 1 hour 20 minutes and 57 seconds in the 20-kilometre walk to attain the standard qualifying mark for the Olympics. This will be Irfan’s second Olympics having represented the country in 2012 London Games.
1. Who was sworn-in as the 11th Chief Minister of Goa?
a) Pramod Sawant
b) Ramkrishna Dhavlikar
c) Vijai Sardesai
d) Vinod Palyekar
2. Mukesh Ambani provided over Rs 450-crore help to younger brother Anil Ambani’s RCom for helping in paying dues to which company?
a) Dassault Aviation
3. Which city hosted the 3rd Indo-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction?
a) New Delhi
4. When was Global Recycling Day 2019 observed globally?
a) 16 March
b) 17 March
c) 18 March
d) 19 March
5. Which country on March 19, 2019 termed the Mumbai terror attacks as most notorious one?
6. Which cricket board had to pay Rs 11 cr as compensation to the BCCI?
7. India Post has released a special stamp cover on which environmental initiative?
a) Green Energy
b) Ice Stupas
c) Hydrogen Lights
d) Green Electricity
8. India has won how many gold medals in Table Tennis at the 2019 Special Olympics World Games?
9. Which nation’s court has issued an arrest warrant against Nirav Modi?
10. Which IPL franchise has tied up with the Star Cricket Academy in England to launch an Academy?
a) Royal Challengers Bangalore
b) Kolkata Knight Rider
c) Chennai Super Kings
d) Rajasthan Royals
1. (a) Pramod Sawant
Goa Legislative Assembly Speaker and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader, Pramod Sawant was sworn-in as the 11th Chief Minister of Goa in a late-night ceremony, hours after his predecessor, Manohar Parrikar was cremated with state honours.
2. (b) Ericsson
Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd, provided over Rs 450-crore help to younger brother Anil Ambani, rescuing him from the Ericsson Payout Case and saving him from a jail term. On February 19, 2019, the Supreme Court held Reliance Communications (RCom) chairman Anil Ambani guilty of contempt of court for wilfully violating its order and not paying its dues of Rs 550 crore to Telecom equipment maker Ericsson.
3. (a) New Delhi
The 3rd Indo-Japan Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction was held in New Delhi. The workshop was attended by about 140 delegates from Japan and India including experts from both the governments, top premium research institutes, city administrators, specialized Disaster Management agencies and private sector.
4. (c) 18 March
The Global Recycling Day was observed across the world on March 18, 2019 to help recognise, and celebrate the importance recycling plays in preserving the precious primary resources. The theme of 2019 Global Recycling Day was ‘Recycling into the Future’.
5. (d) China
China described the 2008 Mumbai attacks carried out by Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terror outfit as one of the most notorious terrorist attacks. In a white paper “The Fight Against Terrorism and Extremism and Human Rights Protection in Xinjiang”, China said that the global spread of terrorism and extremism over the years had inflicted agony on humanity.
6. (a) PCB
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has paid approximately $1.6 million as compensation to the Board of Control for Cricket in India after losing a case in the ICC’s Dispute Resolution Committee. The information was shared by PCB Chairman Ehsan Mani on March 18, 2019.
7. (b) Ice Stupas
The Department of Post has released a special stamp cover on Ice Stupa. The special stamps aim to create awareness about depleting glaciers and affect the ecology around the Himalayas. Ice Stupas also known as artificial glaciers, are being built with an aim to reduce the problem of water shortage, faced by Ladakhi farmers due to the receding of glaciers.
8. (d) 4
Indian paddlers have made history in table tennis by clinching four gold medals and one silver medal. While in the women’s singles event, India’s Anu Chennekota’s won her maiden Special Olympics gold in the 16-21 years’ division-3 category and Sabita Yadav won a singles gold in division-4 category, Karnataka’s Sandesh Krishna and Maharashtra’s Akash Tukuram clinched gold in men’s singles in different divisions of the 18-21 years’ category.
9. (c) UK
A UK court has issued an arrest warrant against fugitive jewellery designer Nirav Modi. He is the main accused in the PNB scam case. The warrant is in response to an ED request for his extradition in a money laundering case. Nirav Modi is expected to be put under formal arrest by the local police soon.
10. (d) Rajasthan Royals
Indian Premier League franchise Rajasthan Royals has tied up with the Star Cricket Academy in Surrey, England to re-launch the facility as the ‘Rajasthan Royals Academy’. The centre has a state-of-the-art cricket centre named the Jarrett Centre. It is an indoor cricket training centre run by former professional batsman Siddharth Lahiri, along with his team of coaches.
1. Which Indian airlines carrier recently in March 2019 joined the International Air Transport Association (IATA)?
2. Who was appointed as India’s first Lokpal on March 19, 2019?
a) Dinesh Kumar Jain
b) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
c) Pradip Kumar Mohanty
d) Ajay Kumar Tripathi
3. The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India recently signed an MoU with which organisation for better implementation of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016?
d) NITI Aayog
4. The Union Health Ministry reviewed preparedness on West Nile Virus Fever in which state?
5. When the International Day of Happiness is celebrated every year?
a) 20 March
b) 21 March
c) 22 March
d) 23 March
6. Which nation’s President has resigned from his position after nearly 30 years in power?
7. Gauri Sawant has been appointed as the first transgender election ambassador in which state?
c) Tamil Nadu
8. Which cricket stadium will host the first-ever T10 Cricket League?
a) Zayed Cricket Stadium
b) Eden Gardens
c) Melbourne Cricket Ground
d) Lord’s Cricket Ground
9. Afghanistan won its first-ever test match by beating which nation?
10. Which country has retained its position as the leading individual country for international patent applications filed in 2018?
b) United States
1. (a) SpiceJet
Indian budget carrier, SpiceJet on March 19, 2019 announced its membership of global airlines’ grouping ‘International Air Transport Association’ (IATA). SpiceJet is the first Indian low-budget carrier to join the IATA, which has over 290 airlines as members including Air India, Jet Airways and Vistara.
2. (b) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
India gets its first Lokpal six years after the passage of Act, former Supreme Court judge, Pinaki Chandra Ghose was on March 19, 2019 appointed as India’s first Lokpal also known as the anti-corruption ombudsman.
3. (c) SEBI
The Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) on March 19, 2019 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for better implementation of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
4. (d) Kerala
The Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare on March 19, 2019 reviewed the current situation and state preparedness to deal with West Nile Virus Fever in Mallapuram district of Kerala along with the officials from National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
5. (a) 20 March
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated every year on 20 March across the world. 20 March was declared as the day of International Happiness following a Bhutanese concept that was coined by the fourth king of Bhutan Jigme Singye Wangchuck in 1970’s.
6. (d) Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan’s President Nursultan Nazarbayev has announced his resignation after nearly 30 years in power. The 78-year old leader had ruled the country since it emerged from the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. The announcement came less than a month after the President sacked his government, citing a lack of economic development despite the country’s vast energy resources.
7. (b) Maharashtra
The Election Commission of India has appointed transgender social activist Gauri Sawant, as one of the 12 election ambassadors from Maharashtra. During 2004 and 2009 Lok Sabha elections there was no record of transgender voters. Sawant’s appointment is expected to help more people from the category to get registered during the final phase of voters enrollment.
8. (a) Zayed Cricket Stadium
The Zayed Cricket Stadium in Abu Dhabi will host the first-ever T10 Cricket League for the next five years, starting with the 2019 season. Abu Dhabi Cricket, in partnership with Abu Dhabi Sports Council and the Department of Culture and Tourism-Abu Dhabi, has signed a five-year agreement with the organizers of the T10 Cricket League.
9. (c) Ireland
Afghanistan’s cricket team on March 18, 2019 recorded its maiden Test win, beating Ireland by seven wickets in a one-off game at Dehradun in Uttarakhand. The Test victory came to Afghanistan nine months after making its debut in the traditional format. Afghanistan scored 314 in the first innings. Chasing 147 for victory, Afghanistan achieved the target in the second innings, scoring 149 for 3. Ireland scored 172 in the first innings and 288 in the second innings.
10. (b) United States
The United Nations has revealed that more than half of all international patent applications filed last year came from Asia, a further sign of innovation shifting from west to east. In the latest annual breakdown of patent filings released by the World Intellectual Property Organization, US remained the leading individual country for applications in 2018. However, on a regional basis, Asia’s surge continued.
1. Which country recently recognised Golan Heights as Israeli territory?
a) United States
d) South Korea
2. The RBI’s UK Sinha led Expert Committee was in news recently. The Committee was constituted to revive which sector?
3. Kazakhstan’s parliament on March 20, 2019 renamed which of its cities?
4. What was the theme of World Water Day 2019?
a) Water for all
b) Clean water, healthy self
c) Leaving no one behind
d) Every drop counts
5. When International Day of Forests 2019 was observed with the theme ‘Forests and Education’?
a) 21st March
b) 22nd March
c) 19th March
d) 20th March
6. Which nation’s government is planning to slash annual permanent migrant intake?
7. Scientists have successfully designed a way to levitate objects using which energy?
8. Which nation’s President has signed an executive order to promote free speech on college campuses by threatening to cut research funds?
c) United States
d) New Zealand
1. (a) United States
The United States President, Donald Trump on March 21, 2019 declared that the US will recognise Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights, a disputed land which Israel captured from Syria in 1967. This decision of the US is expected to give a political boost to Prime Minister Netanyahu a month before his re-election campaign.
2. (b) MSME
The U.K. Sinha led Expert Committee on Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) undertook a comprehensive review of the MSME sector to identify causes and to propose long term solutions for its development.
3. (c) Astana
Kazakhstan’s parliament on March 20, 2019 renamed its capital Astana as ‘Nursultan’ in honor of outgoing leader Nursultan Nazarbayev. Nursultan stands for “Sultan of Light” in Kazakh language, while, Astana means ‘capital’ in Kazakh language.
4. (c) Leaving no one behind
The World Water Day was observed across the globe on March 22, 2019 with the theme ‘Leaving no one behind’. The theme is the central promise of the 2030 agenda for sustainable development, which states that as sustainable development progresses, everyone must benefit.
5. (a) 21st March
The International Day of Forests (IDF) was observed on March 21, 2019 with the theme ‘ Forests and Education: Learn to Love Forests’. The day is observed every year on the same date to raise awareness on how sustainably managed forests provide a wide array of contributions in this area.
6. (d) Australia
The Australian government has decided to slash the nation’s permanent migrant intake from 190,000 to 160,000 in the lead-up to May’s general election. The announcement will be made as part of the Federal Budget, which will be released by Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Treasurer Josh Frydenberg on April 2 and comes months after Morrison first signaled the move in November 2018.
7. (b) Light
Scientists have designed a way to levitate and propel objects using only light, by creating nanoscale patterns on the objects’ surfaces. Though still theoretical, the work is a step toward developing a spacecraft that could reach the nearest planet outside of our solar system in 20 years, powered and accelerated only by light.
8. (c) United States
US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to promote free speech on college campuses by threatening colleges with the loss of federal research funding if they do not protect those rights. The new order directs federal agencies to ensure that any college or university receiving research grants agrees to promote free inquiry and to follow federal rules and regulations supporting free speech.
1. India was ranked at which position on the World Economic Forum’s Global Energy Transition Index 2019?
2. The first set of four Chinook heavy lift helicopters was inducted in Indian Air Force on March 25, 2019. India procured the helicopters from which country?
3. Who has become the longest living President in the history of the United States politics?
a) Gerald Ford
b) Jimmy Carter
c) Ronald Reagan
d) Bill Clinton
4. When the World Tuberculosis Day is observed every year?
a) 23 March
b) 24 March
c) 25 March
d) 26 March
5. Who was appointed as the Chief of Naval Staff on March 23, 2019?
a) Bipin Rawat
b) Bimal Verma
c) Karambir Singh
d) Charan Singh
6. Which Indian airlines in January 2019 recognised itself as defaulter of bank payments with debt of over USD 1 billion?
c) Go Air
d) Jet Airways
7. Which country launched the Hyperspectral Precursor of the Application Mission (PRISMA) Satellite?
8. Which Election Commission has launched PWD app for Divyang voters in which state?
b) Uttar Pradesh
d) Madhya Pradesh
9. Which nation has become the first G-7 country to sign up for China’s Belt and Road Initiative?
10. Which Gulf nation has signed a deal with the United States, allowing its military to use its ports?
1. (a) 76
India has jumped two positions to be ranked 76th on World Economic Forum’s global Energy Transition index. The annual list, released by the Geneva-based forum on March 25, 2019, ranks 115 economies on their ability to balance energy security and access with environmental sustainability and affordability.
2. (a) US
The first batch of four Boeing heavy-lift Chinook Helicopters, CH-47F (I) were inducted in Indian Air Force (IAF) on March 25, 2019 at Air Force Station, Chandigarh, in Squadron No 126 Helicopter Flight (Featherweights). The Chinook helicopters arrived at the Mundra airport in Gujarat from the United States on February 10, 2019.
3. (b) Jimmy Carter
Jimmy Carter, the 39th president of the United States, became the longest living President of the United States on March 22, 2019. At the age of 94 years and 172 days, Carter exceeded by one day the lifespan of former President George HW Bush, who passed away in November 2018 at the age of 94 years and 171 days.
4. (b) 24 March
The World Tuberculosis (TB) Day was observed across the globe on March 24, 2019 with an aim to raise public awareness about the upsetting health and economic consequences of tuberculosis and to step up efforts to end the global TB epidemic.
5. (c) Karambir Singh
Vice Admiral Karambir Singh was on March 23, 2019 appointed as the Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS). He is currently serving as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief (FOC-in-C) of Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam.
6. (d) Jet Airways
Indian full-service carrier Jet Airways on January 1, 2019 informed the stock exchanges that it had defaulted on its loan repayments to banks. Soaked in financial losses and debt of over USD 1 billion, the airline is struggling to even pay out salaries to employees.
7. (a) Italy
The Italian Space Agency launched the PRISMA (Hyperspectral Precursor of the Application Mission) to provide information about environmental monitoring, resources management, pollution and crop health. The Earth-observation Satellite was put into orbit on board the European Vega rocket.
8. (c) Maharashtra
The Election Commission has launched a new mobile application called ‘PWD’ to make voting easier and accessible for over two lakhs divyang voters across Maharashtra. The app would facilitate the voters with special facilities including wheelchairs, ramps and transport from home at polling booths during the Lok Sabha elections.
9. (b) Italy
Italy on March 23, 2019 signed a “non-binding” protocol with China to take part in the nation’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), which aims to link China with Europe. With the move, Italy has become the first G-7 country to sign up for the massive project, which is seen as a new Silk Road that will have trade links stretching from Asia to Europe. In doing so, Italy has sparked unease in the United States and its European Allies, who have previously expressed concern over China’s growing global influence.
10. (d) Oman
Oman on March 24, 2019 signed an agreement with the United States, allowing American ships and warplanes to take advantage of its ports and airports. The framework agreement is aimed at bolstering Oman-US military relations. It was signed between the defence ministries of both the nations.