1. Which country was nominated as the Guest of Honour at the 29th edition of the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair?
2. The United States on April 23, 2019 announced to terminate sanction waivers for all importers of Iranian oil by May 2, 2019. Which of the following countries was waived off from sanctions on imports of Iranian oil?
3. Which Insurance company recently launched the Cyber Defence Insurance to protect businesses from financial and reputational losses due to cyber attacks?
a) New India Assurance
b) Oriental Insurance
c) SBI General Insurance
d) United India Insurance Company Limited
4. When the first official International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace was observed?
a) 11th January 2019
b) 18th February 2019
c) 22nd March 2019
d) 24th April 2019
5. What rank India fetched in the Startup Ecosystem Ranking 2019, according to data released by StartupBlink?
6. A special bench has been formed under which Supreme Court judge to inquire into the sexual harassment against the Chief Justice?
a) Justice SA Bobde
b) Justice NV Ramana
c) Justice Indira Banerjee
d) CJI Ranjan Gogoi
7. The Union Government has extended the ban on import of milk products from which country?
8. The United Arab Emirates has announced 85 percent completion of its Mars probe project. What is name of the probe?
9. Which terror outfit has claimed the responsibility of the devastating Easter bomb blasts in Sri Lanka?
c) Islamic State
10. Which among the following nations successfully test-fired an indigenous cruise missile on April 23, 2019?
c) North Korea
1. (a) India
The 29th edition of the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair (ADIBF) began on April 24, 2019. India is attending the fair as the “Guest of Honour” country, reflecting the strong relations between the leadership and the people of the UAE and India.
2. (b) China
The US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo on April 23, 2019 announced that the sanction waivers that it had granted to some countries still buying oil from Iran will terminate on May 2, 2019. With this announcement, five countries namely, India, China, Japan, South Korea and Turkey will no longer be exempted from the US sanctions, if they continue to import Iranian oil after their waivers end on May 2.
3. (c) SBI General Insurance
SBI General Insurance launched its new product ‘cyber defence insurance’ to protect businesses from financial and reputational losses due to cyber attacks. It offers protection against the growing threat of cyber breaches like hacking attacks, identity theft, and business interruption.
4. (d) 24th April 2019
On April 24, 2019, the first official International Day of Multilateralism and Diplomacy for Peace was celebrated by the United Nations and the UN General Assembly convened a one-day high-level plenary meeting to commemorate and promote the day.
5. (a) 17th
According to data released by StartupBlink, India moved to 17th position in the Startup Ecosystem Ranking 2019 from 37th spot in 2018. The top three spots remained unchanged on the index with the United States, United Kingdom and Canada.
6. (a) Justice SA Bobde
The Supreme Court on April 23, 2019 constituted a three-judge panel headed by Justice SA Bobde, the senior-most judge in apex court after the Chief Justice of India (CJI), to inquire into the sexual harassment complaint by a former junior court assistant against CJI Ranjan Gogoi. Besides Justice SA Bobde, the inquiry panel comprises Justice NV Ramana, the next senior most judge, and Justice Indira Banerjee, who was elevated to the Supreme Court on August 7, 2018.
7. (b) China
The Union Government on April 23, 2019 extended the ban on import of milk and its products, including chocolates, from China till laboratories at ports for testing the presence of toxic chemical melamine are upgraded. The ban was first imposed in September 2008 and extended subsequently from time to time. The latest ban imposed by the government ended on April 23.
8. (d) Hope
The UAE Space Agency and Mohammed bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC) have announced that 85 percent of the Hope Probe project has been completed. Hope Probe is an ambitious dream project of UAE to send a mission to Mars.
9. (c) Islamic State
The Islamic State (ISIS) has claimed responsibility for serial bombings in Sri Lanka which killed over 310 people and injured about 500 others on Easter, on April 21, 2019. Sri Lankan government had earlier named local Islamist radical group, the National Thowheed Jamaath, as the prime suspect, for the string of eight powerful blasts that shattered a decade of peace in the island nation since the end of the civil war.
10. (d) Pakistan
Pakistan Navy on April 23, 2019 successfully test-fired an indigenous cruise missile in the Arabian Sea, the navy said. The indigenously developed cruise missile has anti-ship missile and land attack capability. The missile reportedly hit its target accurately on land signifying the impressive capabilities of the indigenous missile system.
1. How many medals did India win at the 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championship?
2. The Indian Army recently began online registration of women for recruitment into which field for the first time?
a) Air Defence
b) Education Corps
c) Engineer Corps
d) Military Police
3. India recently pushed which continent’s right to a permanent seat in the UN Security Council?
c) South America
4. Which bank sold its entire stake in NHB, Nabard to the Union Government?
5. Which country recently became the world’s first to launch malaria vaccine?
6. Who has been honoured with the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Lifetime Award 2019?
a) Salim Khan
c) Shabana Azmi
d) Javed Akhtar
7. This yesteryear actress was conferred with the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Special Award 2019?
a) Hema Malini
c) Waheeda Rehman
d) Shabana Azmi
8. The United Nations recently signed a joint framework aimed at strengthening partnership in counter-terrorism efforts with which group of countries?
a) United Arab Emirates
b) European Union
9. Which high court lifted the ban on Chinese short-video app ‘TikTok’?
a) Rajasthan High Court
b) Bombay High Court
c) Madras High Court
d) Delhi High Court
10. When the World Malaria Day is celebrated every year?
a) 24 April
b) 25 April
c) 26 April
d) 27 April
1. (d) 17
The 23rd edition of the Asian Athletics Championship concluded in Doha, Qatar on April 24, 2019. India with 17 medals (3 Gold, 7 silver and 7 bronze) finished fourth in the tournament. The four-day event saw participation from 63 nations across the world. Bahrain topped the tally with 11 gold, 7 silver and 4 bronze, followed by China with 10 gold, 13 silver, 7 bronze and then Japan with 5 gold, 4 silver, 9 bronze.
2. (d) Military Police
In a first, the Indian Army on April 25, 2019 began online registration of women for recruitment as soldiers into the military police. The recruitment for ‘Soldier General Duty (Women Military Police)’ was mooted by the Army Chief General Bipin Rawat soon after he took over the post. The approval for the creation of the post came recently by the Defence Ministry.
3. (b) Africa
India recently stressed upon Africa’s right to representation among the ranks of the permanent members of the UN Security Council. The move aims to bring in a sense of urgency to the long-stalled reform process of the UNSC.
4. (c) RBI
The Reserve Bank of India has sold its entire stake in the National Housing Bank (NHB) and the National Bank for Agriculture & Rural Development (Nabard) to the Union Government for Rs 1,450 crore and Rs 20 crore, respectively. The move would now make these organisations fully government-owned.
5. (a) Malawi
Malawi launched the world’s first malaria vaccine in a landmark pilot programme. The country is the first of three in Africa in which the vaccine, known as RTS,S, will be made available to children up to 2 years of age; Ghana and Kenya will introduce the vaccine later.
6. (a) Salim Khan
Actor, producer and screenwriter Salim Khan, who is also the father of superstar Salman Khan, was honoured with the Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Lifetime Award.
7. (b) Helen
Popular scriptwriter Salim Khan, national award-winning filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and one of the finest dancing divas of yesteryears, Helen were honoured with the prestigious Master Deenanath Mangeshkar Award at a ceremony in Mumbai on April 24, 2019.
8. (b) European Union
The United Nations and the European Union (EU) on April 24, 2019 signed a joint framework aimed at strengthening partnership in counter-terrorism efforts. The framework was enacted on the occasion of the second edition of EU-UN Leader’s Dialogue on Counter-Terrorism that was held in New York.
9. (c) Madras High Court
The Madras high court on April 24, 2019 lifted the ban on Chinese short-video app ‘TikTok’, three weeks after it had asked the Government to prohibit further downloads of the popular application on Google and Apple app stores.
10. (b) 25 April
The World Malaria Day is an international observance commemorated every year on 25 April and recognizes global efforts to control malaria. It is one of eight official global public health campaigns currently marked by the World Health Organization (WHO).
1. When the World Intellectual Property Day is celebrated every year?
a) 24 April
b) 25 April
c) 26 April
d) 27 April
2. Former Indian Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag was recently appointed as India’s High Commissioner to which country?
c) South Africa
d) Saudi Arabia
3. The Indian Council of Medical Research recently launched the ‘MERA India’ to eliminate which disease by 2030?
4. Who has been appointed as the third judge in the special inquiry panel set up to probe sexual harassment charges against the Chief Justice after Justice N V Ramana recused himself?
a) Justice Indu Malhotra
b) Justice R Banumathi
c) Justice UU Lalit
d) Justice AM Khanwilkar
5. The Supreme Court has chosen which among the following retired Justices to hold inquiry into claims of conspiracy against CJI?
a) Justice AK Sikri
b) Former CJI Dipak Misra
c) Justice Kurian Joseph
d) Justice A K Patnaik
6. Which nation released Ramayana stamp for the first time celebrating centuries old cultural bonds?
a) Sri Lanka
7. Which nation has initiated the step towards listing giraffes as threatened species?
b) United States
c) New Zealand
d) South Africa
8. Which country’s foreign plastic waste ban has thrown the world’s plastic recycling sector into chaos?
a) United States
1. (c) 26 April
The World Intellectual Property Day was observed across the world on April 26, 2019 to spread awareness about the role that intellectual property rights like patents, trademarks, industrial designs and copyright play in encouraging innovation and creativity.
2. (b) Seychelles
Former Indian Army Chief General (Retired) Dalbir Singh Suhag was on April 25, 2019 appointed as India’s High Commissioner to the island nation Seychelles. Dalbir Singh was the Army Chief from August 1, 2014 to December 31, 2016. He was also part of the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) in Sri Lanka in 1987.
3. (b) Malaria
The Indian Council of Medical Research launched the ‘Malaria Elimination Research Alliance (MERA) India’ in order to prioritise, plan and scale up research to eliminate Malaria from India by 2030.
4. (a) Justice Indu Malhotra
Justice Indu Malhotra was on April 25, 2019 appointed as the third member of the in-house inquiry panel set up to examine allegations of sexual harassment against Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi. Malhotra was appointed to the panel following the recusal of Justice N V Ramana.
5. (d) Justice A K Patnaik
The Supreme Court on April 25, 2019 constituted a one-man panel comprising former SC judge, Justice A K Patnaik to hold an inquiry into the allegations of a larger conspiracy to frame Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and fixing of benches in the top court. The top court clarified that the inquiry will not deal with the allegations of sexual harassment against the CJI.
6. (c) Indonesia
Indonesia in a landmark step on April 23, 2019 released a special stamp on the theme of Ramayana for the first time underlining strong centuries old cultural bonds. The stamp, designed by renowned Indonesian sculptor Padmashri Bapak Nyoman Nuarta, features a scene from Ramayana in which Jatayu valiantly fought to save Devi Sita symbolising the resolve of two peoples in the face of adversity.
7. (b) United States
The Trump administration has taken a first step toward extending protections for giraffes under the Endangered Species Act. The move comes after legal pressure from environmental groups. Biologists have warned for years that the world’s tallest land mammal is at increasing risk of extinction from habitat loss, poaching and other threats.
8. (d) China
China had stopped accepting plastic waste from foreign countries last year. The move has thrown the world recycling sector into chaos. The ban forced countries like the US and UK to find new ways to deal with their own trash, which has resulted in huge pile-ups of trash in Southeast Asian nations.
1. The voting for the fourth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 was held for how many constituencies?
2. Which nation has announced a ban on covering of the face with any kind of veil or burqa?
b) United Kingdom
c) Sri Lanka
d) United States
3. Which cyclone is expected to intensify into a very severe cyclonic storm and will continue to move North West and change its path to North East in India, as per MeT department?
a) Cyclone Titli
b) Cyclone Ockhi
c) Cyclone Maarutha
d) Cyclone Fani
4. Who was recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019 recently by the Wrestling Federation of India?
a) Vinesh Phogat
b) Sushil Kumar
c) Sakshi Malik
d) Harpreet Singh
5. The National Company Law Tribunal approved the merger of which bank with Bharat Financial Inclusion?
a) IDBI Bank
b) Kotak Mahindra Bank
c) IndusInd Bank
d) RBL Bank
6. Around 135 flights were delayed of which Indian airlines on April 28, 2019 due to the ripple effect of the shutdown of its software?
c) Air India
7. Which party has won Spain’s snap elections?
a) Socialist Workers’ party
b) Conservative People’s party
c) Centre-right Citizens party
d) Vox Party
8. How many parliamentary constituencies have gone to polls in Uttar Pradesh in the fourth phase of elections?
9. When was the World Day for Safety and Health at Work observed?
a) April 28
b) April 26
c) April 25
d) April 27
10. India continues to be on the Priority Watch List of which among the following nations due to lack of sufficient measurable improvements to its Intellectual Property (IP) framework?
a) United Kingdom
d) United States
1. (a) 72
The fourth phase of Lok Sabha Elections 2019 was held on April 29, 2019 for 72 Lok Sabha Constituencies across 9 States. The Lok Sabha Elections 2019 Phase 4 saw voting in 17 seats of Maharashtra, 13 seats each in Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, 8 in West Bengal, 6 each in Madhya Pradesh and Odisha, 5 in Bihar, and 3 in Jharkhand.
2. (c) Sri Lanka
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena on April 28, 2019 announced a ban on covering of the face with burqa, veil or in any manner that prevents identification of the person. The order comes a week after coordinated blasts hit three churches and three luxury hotels in the nation, killing over 250 people and injuring more than 500 others.
3. (d) Cyclone Fani
Cyclone Fani is expected to intensify into a very severe cyclonic storm and will continue to move North West and change its path to North East. Cyclone Fani’s landfall over Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh is ruled out. However, the possibility of landfall in Odisha is under continuous watch.
4. (a) Vinesh Phogat
The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) recommended the names of Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019. Current number one wrestler, Punia recently won the Asian Wrestling Championships in Xi’an, China.
5. (c) IndusInd Bank
The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) approved the merger of IndusInd Bank with Bharat Financial Inclusion (BFIL). The merger will be completed within 2-4 weeks. Post merger, the BFIL will become a subsidiary of the IndusInd Bank.
6. (c) Air India
Around 135 flights of Air India were delayed due to the ripple effect of the shutdown of its software. These flights were delayed by an average of 197 minutes. Thousands of passengers had a harrowing time at airports across the world.
7. (a) Socialist Workers’ party
Spain’s ruling center-left socialist party has won the snap elections that were held on April 28, 2019. The opinion polls had predicted a victory for outgoing socialist premier Pedro Sanchez. With 99 percent of the ballots counted, the Socialists led by Prime Minister Sanchez won 29 percent of the vote, capturing 123 seats in the 350-seat Congress of Deputies.
8. (b) 13
In the fourth phase of polls in Uttar Pradesh, the polling has begun in 13 parliamentary constituencies including Shahjahanpur, Kheri, Hardoi, Misrikh, Unnao, Farrukhabad, Etawah, Kannauj, Kanpur, Akbarpur, Jalaun, Jhansi and Hamirpur.
9. (a) April 28
The World Day for Safety and Health at Work was observed across the globe on April 28, 2019. The day is observed annually to promote safe, healthy and decent work. This year, the world day attempts to take stock of a 100 years of work in improving occupational safety and health and looks to the future for continuing these efforts through major changes such as technology, demographics, sustainable development including climate change and changes in work organisation.
10. (d) United States
The United States on April 25, 2019 yet again placed India on its ‘Priority Watch List’, alleging lack of sufficient measurable improvements to its Intellectual Property (IP) framework on long-standing and new challenges, which has negatively affected American right holders over the past year.
1. When the Labour Day is observed in India every year?
a) 1st May
b) 25th August
c) 11th October
d) 2nd November
2. Indonesia recently announced to relocate its capital. What is the Capital of Indonesia?
a) Denpasar Bali
3. What is the name of Japan’s new imperial era that will begin on May 1, 2019?
4. RBI recently announced to issue Rs 20 banknotes of greenish-yellow colour. The new Rs 20 banknotes will bear which heritage site?
a) Elephanta Caves
b) Badami Caves
c) Bhimbetka Caves
d) Ellora Caves
5. Which city hosted run to vote mini-marathon on April 28, 2019?
6. Who was named 2019 FWA footballer of the year?
a) Virgil Van Dijk
b) Lionel Messi
c) Raheem Sterling
d) Cristiano Ronaldo
7. Which city hosted the Shanghai Co-operation Organisation (SCO) Defence Ministers’ conclave?
8. Which rule under the ‘Conduct of Elections Rules’ lists out a six-month jail term and a Rs 1000 fine for falsely reporting malfunctioning of EVMs and VVPATs?
a) Rule 49MA
b) Rule 51GCA
c) Rule 37PB
d) Rule 24TR
1. (a) 1 May
The Labour Day was observed across the world on May 1, 2019. The day is also known as International Worker’s Day and May Day. The day is celebrated by the working classes and is promoted by the international labour movement, socialists and communists.
2. (b) Jakarta
Indonesia on April 29, 2019 announced its plans to move its capital away from Jakarta. President Joko Widodo’s government plans to establish a new Capital out of the crowded Java Island to ensure more equitable development of the country amid environmental concerns and overcrowding issues.
3. (c) Reiwa
Japanese Emperor of ‘Heisei’ era, Akihito began his abdication rituals on April 30, 2019 at a Shinto shrine, marking the end of his reign with hope for a new era. Japan on April 1, 2019 declared ‘Reiwa’ as the name of its new imperial era that will begin on May 1, 2019.
4. (d) Ellora Caves
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will shortly issue Rs 20 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing signature of Shaktikanta Das, Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. The new Rs 20 banknote has motif of Ellora Caves on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage. The base colour of the note is Greenish Yellow.
5. (a) Leh
A mini-marathon titled ‘run to vote’ was conducted on April 28, 2019 in Leh district of Jammu and Kashmir’s Ladakh region which is going to polls in the last phase of the Lok Sabha elections on May 6. The main objective of the marathon was to promote voter awareness and educate the target population about EVM and VVPAT.
6. (c) Raheem Sterling
Raheem Sterling has been named the 2019 footballer of the year by the Football Writers’ Association (FWA). The Manchester City and England forward topped the poll of the 400-strong FWA membership as a clear winner, with 62 percent of the votes. It was more than 100 votes ahead of Liverpool defender Virgil Van Dijk.
7. (d) Bishkek
The Shanghai Co-operation Organisation (SCO) Defence Ministers’ conclave was held at Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan on April 29, 2019. India’s Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman attended the conclave and held bilateral meetings with her Chinese and Russian counterparts and Chief of General Staff of Kyrgyz Armed Forces. Key bilateral defence issues, including defence co-operation, were discussed. India became a full member of the SCO in 2017.
8. (a) Rule 49MA
The Supreme Court on April 29, 2019 sought a response from the Election Commission on a plea seeking abolition of a provision in election rules that provides for prosecution of an elector if a complaint alleging malfunctioning of EVMs and VVPATs turns out to be false. A three-judge bench headed by CJI Ranjan Gogoi took note of the plea, which alleged that Rule 49MA of ‘The Conduct of Elections Rules’ was unconstitutional as it criminalises reporting of malfunctioning of Electronic Voting Machines and Voter Verified Paper Audit Trails.